Monday, March 14, 2011

WJ-MX20 added to Video Arsenal

Several years ago I owned a Panasonic AVE-5 digital mixer. This was back in the 90's before HD and when editing on a computer was still young. At that time me and my crew mixed Christmas cantatas, Plays, Pageants and such with it. And I used it for editing.

Also back then I would often drool over the WJ-MX20 in video magazines. It cost more but was one of those things I coveted. In time editing on a computer replaced the need for such a machine and I never got one.

Recently a friend found one at a rummage sale and got it, then gave it to me. It came with the character generator and a few accessories. We had no idea if it even worked. I found some time today to check it and indeed it does work!

I fed the video output from my Canon HV30 & 40 thru the mixer and to a monitor. I was surprised it fed the wide screen signal through and looked good. I believe the output from the mixer is only 460 horizontal lines but this would be OK for web use.

So if I ever need to mix an event live, like a soccer game, play or concert I have the capability now. At some point soon I will put it through a real test, and actually send a feed over the net to see how it looks. But just knowing I have the capability and probably can do such a thing is exciting.

These mixers are available on eBay now and then and could be worth the investment for you too. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment