Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Muther, The life of an editing computer...

As you know I do a ton of video editing. Recently I've been doing DVD Authoring and designing titles for other companies. This has been keeping me busy but it appears I caught a break and I can take some time to blog.

During the past few weeks Magix Video Pro X 3.0 came out and I received an advanced copy. The team at Magix are great! Thanks guys!

I've loaded VPX3 and had some time to work with it. I have to say it's awesome! Though it is reminding me that I really need to upgrade my computer. ((sigh)) VPX3.0 was designed to run in Win7 and I'm still using XP Pro, because of it's stability. So sometime in the future I will have to upgrade...

Ever since I owned my first computer, a Commodore 64, I have named my PC's. Over the years I've forgotten many of the names of the various computers I've owned but some come to mind. Colossus, Guardian, Goliath, are a few. Each computer was bigger and more powerful than the last, and therefore each name had to be larger than life. It's was just a funny thing I did to pat myself on the back whenever I built or bought a new PC.

My current editing computer didn't have a grandiose name though. From the day she came from Dell I named her "Muther". She was named in part after the computer on ALIEN, and I had a little quip I would use to explain her name. "When she is working great she mothers me, takes care of me and my tasks, when she is not working well, she is a MUTHER!"

Muther has been an awesome computer, and in fact I've grown my business with her and my Magix editors. But it's time to upgrade. Software and technology are advancing and I have to advance with it, plus having a faster PC will speed up my productivity. So I'm saving and looking for another power house to edit on.

There is nothing wrong with Muther and she will remain on my desk as a backup and to handle other tasks. Now that I'm editing fully in HD, I need a faster work horse. So it's time to move forward and upward yet again.

Muther came out of the box working well, however her sound card was not up to my standards. A sacrifice I made to spend less and try to get more. She's always been weak in the audio department but she edits and crunches video like a pro. I am on this computer every day and she hasn't failed me yet. However, compared to the day she arrived, Muther is very slow now.

So I am in the market again. And as such I'm considering names. Gotta have a cool name for the new PC when I finally get it. I'm drawing a blank. But that's OK, often PC's like cars and guns will name themselves.

I am thinking "Alienware" for the next brand. I need power and storage for video and many of the Alienware products are perfect. This means research, decisions, and money. I hate the process but love the outcome. LOL

So if you got any ideas for a moniker, just drop me a line. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment