Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Feeding the Hummers

Several weeks ago I had lunch at a friends and was captivated by their Hummingbird feeder. Many years ago I got into this hobby, having feeders around. Over time and moving I left the feeders behind.

While shopping the other day I was looking in the Lawn & Garden section of a local store and found a Hummingbird feeder kit. It spawned the idea to put out a feeder and start this little hobby again. However this late in the year I was afraid that the season was almost over and there was no need to do it now.
Hummingbirds will be long gone for the winter, right?

Then, a few nights ago I was watching TV and a special came on PBS. The show was called Hummingbirds: Magic in the Air. You can watch it free here. The show contains stunning visuals and informative dialogue about Hummingbirds. It's an amazing program!

While watching this show I was intrigued to learn that here in the lower south Hummingbirds have begun to remain during winter, preferring to stay in the coastal areas instead of continuing their migration to South America. In the program they displayed a map and my area is within the region Hummingbirds are gravitating towards and remaining during winter.

So, maybe it wasn't too late to put up a feeder?

The program went on to say that there was a need for residents in this area to continue to feed year round. The birds need it. It was after seeing this program that I made the decision to go ahead and buy the little kit, plus some feed juice for the little birdies. Not only would this be a fun hobby, but I can get some great video of the hummingbirds as well!

I made a trip today to the store and picked up a simple feeder and some nutritious nectar for it.
Yes, I could just use sugar water but a basic mixture doesn't have all the nutrients the hummers need. Sugar and water will give them some power but lacks the nutrients actual flowers give them. Like any other living thing they need a well rounded meal. This kit included a full bottle and I bought an extra jug for when it runs out. After that I will probably switch to sugar water if I can't continue to find the feed in stores.

The feeder is installed just outside my window where I work here at home, so I can enjoy their company and they can feed in safety from predators as I watch over them. Hopefully their presence nearby will give me the chance to shoot some video of them while they visit the feeder and I will have some content to share here on the project. Yes, the feeder has a dual purpose and I admit I had an ulterior motive as well. ;)

I used to enjoy the two feeders I had at my old home. One was out in the yard and the other was just outside the kitchen window so I could watch them from just a few feet away. The first time I put out a feeder it took about a week for a bird to find it. After that word went out in the hummer world and soon I had seven to ten hummers everyday, sometimes more!

Here is some good information on Feeders, Feed and How / Where to set one up. And here is a map including the southern USA where you can feed during winter. Rufous and Ruby - Throated hummingbirds will remain in the south during winter. I'm right on the edge but I hope I can continue to feed wandering birds at least till January when it gets very cold here. Hopefully all winter long. Any birds in my area will need the warmth and energy my feeder will provide. However, it remains warm here through November and doesn't get really cold till December.

Below is the behind the scenes video for Hummingbirds: Magic in the Air. It was broadcast on PBS. I caught the show on Mississippi Public Broadcasting. If you have the time you should watch this excellent program. The videography is amazing and you will learn a lot about these wonderful birds!

No comments:

Post a Comment