Thursday, July 28, 2011

Skype-ing with the Wife

We live in a world of advanced technology and something that was just a dream when I was a kid is not only possible now, but used in a variety of ways. I'm talking about Skype.

When I was a kid we were promised video phones and hover cars. The hover car never materialized but the video phone, in the form of a computer application, is in common use. It hasn't taken over the world but more and more people are finding Skype, and applications like it, are a good way to keep in touch.

My wife travels much during the year delivering training courses in various academies around the country. When she is away we often use Skype to keep in touch. For me it's better than a phone call. I can see her and she can see me, even though with all this advanced technology we often spend our time online making juvenile faces at each other. LOL

Making faces is fun but I also catch up on her classes and how she is doing alone in whatever hotel she happens to be crashing in. I keep her up to date with which mail arrived, any packages or bills and the daily running of the household.
I work from home and spend hours editing, so having that human connection with a face to face talk is good for me too.

Especially when we make faces at each other!

My day consists of sitting in my office in front of a computer with the dog at my feet and only the sounds of an occasional police car or garbage truck passing for company. I get totally lost in the monitor and have to come up for air now and then.

We text regularly during the day but at night I look forward to the Skype call. Some days it's the only face I see. I often refer to "Facebook" as the guys in the cubicle next to me. During the day I keep Facebook running so I have some connection to the world and I don't go insane. Facebook is okay for chumming around but Skype brings a person into your world. It's one on one. All you need is a web camera and the free software.

I also use Skype during my online TV show. I interview people from around the world on "Conundrums" and the shows are broadcast live via UStream then archived on Blip.TV. Without Skype my show would not be possible. There is no way I could travel the globe to interview people. Skype brings them to me.

Technology never ceases to amaze me. The world has sure changed since I was a kid, but on some level I knew this technology would come in my lifetime. I was and still am a dreamer. And it took dreamers like me to make all of this possible.
Even the way I'm communicating with you as you read this. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment