Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Obsessed with the Weather?

I guess it comes from living in a state where we have all types of weather? During my life I have witnessed thunder storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, drought and all manner of severe weather conditions. I shot video footage during Katrina from my car port, witnessed Camille as a child and marveled over ice storms and snow days.

Yes, I'm obsessed with the weather! We have a saying here in Mississippi, "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes." Though it doesn't change that fast it is not uncommon to have a heat wave one day and cold rain the next. Nor is it too uncommon for it to be nice and pleasant then snow the next day.

June in Mississippi, hot summer came early.

Highs are in the 90's but with our humidity it feels like the temp is well into the 100's. When it does get into the 100's it is truly sweltering. I guess it is kinda hard not to be a weather watcher down here.

I am not fond of the Weather Channel, frankly they seem to think Mississippi doesn't exist! The announcers will mention New Orleans then skip right over us to Alabama. Unless a major storm of Biblical proportions hits us, we rarely get noticed. Therefore I was very excited to see them get some competition in the form of another weather channel network.

Weather Nation launched last week and I've been monitoring it. They mention us here quite a lot and their coverage is all weather without storm stories or other programs I don't care for. And they are Jim Cantore Free! Can't beat that!

I can receive the Weather Nation channel on my Roku as well via the Nowhereman private channel link and Ustream. Just add Ustream as a private channel to your Roku and search WeatherNation TV. It's there streaming live 24/7.

Here in Mississippi we have four seasons, Spring, Summer, Fall and January. Our summers are long and start early. Then fall drifts in toward the end of October. However it is not rare to wear shorts and flip flops on Christmas Day. T-shirts are daily apparel and no one thinks twice if that and a pair of shorts are your entire wardrobe.

June, July, August & September are our hottest months with temps high and usually an afternoon thunderstorm just long enough to make it humid and sticky even more than normal.

Think Jungle.

Winter, what we have of it is also bone chilling cold because of the humidity that makes the temperature seem colder than it is.

The other day while I was "checking the weather" my wife sighed and said, "It must be a Mississippi thing." And she is right. We do check the weather often because you never know when it will change, sometimes for the worse. I do love a rainy night and a good thunderstorm though. But I'm very thankful for the new WeatherNation TV channel so I can keep up with it on my TV again.

Watch the Weather Nation live broadcast below:







Live streaming by Ustream

No comments:

Post a Comment