Saturday, August 13, 2011

Coffee Station & Collections

I love coffee. With flavors, without. It doesn't matter. But you may be surprised to find that my favorite is an instant brand. It's made by Pampa and it comes in little jars for only one dollar. I find it at our local Dollar General store.

You can get three jars and get more coffee than the three dollar single jar if you buy the little ones. It adds up to more coffee. This coffee is made in Mexico and though it's instant, it tastes (to me) like brewed coffee.

My favorite "add in" is Hazelnut, I grab the bottles of syrup at our local Dollar Tree and with some creamer this is just about heaven. The Carmel and Vanilla is good too but nothing brings out the rich taste of a good Cup-o-Joe than the hazelnut.

Of course this is all leading up to my collection. A favorite past-time. Some people collect stamps, I collect coffee mugs. I have several and some in storage. Each cup has a story and each is used on days when I feel that cup is appropriate for the day. Choosing a cup is a ritual to start the day as well.

For instance, on a day I record my show I usually drink from my Conundrums, Area 51 or Babylon 5 cup.

Days that I'm editing usually brings out the TV station mugs and network cups. I have several from the BBC to our local channels. I guess I connect to the mood of the day by the coffee mug I'm drinking out of.

Mornings begin with choosing a cup and filling it with water. Then it goes into the microwave for 2 minutes. During this two minutes I boot the computer and log in, visit the restroom, start to plan out the day and when the microwave dings, I'm ready to make the first cup of the morning.

This is a ritual too. I have a little measuring cup for the coffee, one scoop. Then I pour in the creamer and sugar and the flavoring comes last. Usually the aforementioned Hazelnut. Throughout the day this ritual is repeated. I have a coffee warmer on my editing desk to keep the brew perfect until time for a refill.

My wife set up a little coffee station by the microwave for me. My instant is transferred from it's jar into a Tupperware container complete with scoop. I have two tall Tupperware containers for the creamer and sugar and my flavors, all on a nice glass tray. It is there waiting for me each morning and I keep it filled. I think this was just a little way to acknowledge my coffee fetish and show her love. She can make a great cup of coffee too!

Edith, my wife, often travels and brings back a new mug from some far distant place in the USA. So I have a Texas mug, St. Louis, and others. I collect them too from around the world. I have an Aztec mug, Mexican mug and more.

Yes, I'm into my coffee! Brewed coffee is good too but when it comes to my preference, I really like the Pampa instant. I also like that it is inexpensive. By the way, never give me Tasters Choice, that stuff reeks!

2 comments:

  1. I quit coffee cold turkey a few years ago, then drove the family from NJ to DisneyWorld.... yeah I was nuts. In the intervening years I have added it back, daily, but only one cup. I have some Disney cups.... Dopey usually works for me. ;-) I have some CBS mugs and somewhere from WYOU, which were horrible to hold as the handle was a heart... The Heart of Pennsylvania. not sure where that one is. I have one from WOBM but the one I use at work just says Dad. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. just tried the cafe al fresco vanilla syrup in a cup of Taster's Choice decaf... made it palatable!!

    ReplyDelete