Monday, January 16, 2012

RC Club

I found a RC club in Hattiesburg and decided to check them out. The PineBelt RC Club has a local airfield and monthly meetings. Saturday the wife and I went to explore the airfield and met up with several club members. I shot a little video while there and watched the planes fly.

It was too windy for my coaxial helicopter so I just shot footage and enjoyed the fellowship of the group. Sunday I went back and with the help of a club member I flew a trainer airplane using the buddy system. You have two remote controls, one for the pilot and one for the learner. The pilot lets you take over to fly the plane. I flew it twice using up a couple of batteries, it was very exciting!

With the flying bug still well implanted in my brain I flew my helicopter a couple of times Sunday evening when the wind died down. I have to say I'm loving my new S033G Syma helicopter. It's not much above the toy grade but it's fun to fly and really relaxing to cruise it around the front yard. I ordered a couple more batteries for it so I can swap them out and fly longer. You can get the S033G Syma, parts & accessories at XHeli.com.


XHeli put the Double Horse 9101 Coaxial helicopter on sale for $39 so I grabbed it. According to the reviews it is more forgiving in wind and a good outdoor flyer. It is slightly smaller than the Syma S033G but probably built a bit tougher.
The Double Horse is also a good helicopter to learn to fly with.
So far I haven't crashed the S033G, unless you include dropping it into a bush when the wind blew it off course. It's a tough little heli and there was no damage from the bush landing. This has been a fun hobby and my plan is to continue to fly the heli's as well as save up for an airplane to fly at the field. I figure i will crash something at some point, we will see how that goes.

Whenever possible I'll include some flight footage here for you to enjoy. In April the RC Club is having an air show so I'll be there with camera in hand. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment