Thursday, February 16, 2012

First Solo Flight with the Super Cub

Today was the first day I flew my Super Cub!

After flying the coaxial helicopters I felt I needed to make a decision. Continue to progress with helicopters or get an airplane. Most of the guys in the local club fly planes, there are only a couple heli pilots. Plus I had been putting some time in flying planes with Bruce and Thomas, two flight trainers at the field.

So, last week I decided to segue to planes and pick up on flying helicopters after I had more flight experience. Our local hobby store had a Super Cub for $199.00. It contained everything you need to get flying. Transmitter, plane and accessories. I grabbed it and an extra battery.

The plane I bought had a bad receiver so I took it back and had it replaced. I spent Wednesday night assembling it. And since today was the only day with a break in the weather I took it out to the field, to get some flying in before Sunday when all the guys will be there.

Darrel was at the field when I arrived and had his new plane. Both of us are beginners and were a bit reluctant to fly in today's wind. But we gathered up muster and took to the air. Suffice it to say my first jaunt into the sky was short and ended with a nose dive into the mud. Undaunted I set the plane back on the runway and tried again.

This flight was much better. I gained altitude then took the plane around a few times. The wind was strong and almost blew the plane out of sight but I was able to recover it, put the nose into the wind and drive the plane hard to level flight and back to my position. After that I flew for a few minutes more, just basic circles and landed in the grass.

Darrel flew his plane and also landed in the grass, admitting he had not been able to land on the runway yet. I flew the Super Cub three or four more times, each time landing in the grass. Each time I flew I could sense I was getting used to the plane and how it flies. I trimmed out the plane while in flight because it was going into a slight climb when left at level flight. After that it was smooth sailing.

On my last flight I lined up with the runway and cut power allowing the plane to drift down. The Super Cub dropped lightly and when I was ready to land I nosed in slightly and allowed the plane to touch down on the runway. The landing was perfect except for one thing. As the plane slowed to a stop the nose tilted forward and the Super Cub came to a rest on her front, tail sticking up.

It was an exciting day! I was glad to be able to fly with no one around and no risk of an accident into someones plane or property. My solo was a wonderful experience and very addictive. I'll be back out Sunday to fly again and with all the other guys.

I left the airfield and went to the monthly club meeting. The group was happy that I had solo'd and offered congratulations. During the meeting Darrel and I became official pilots. After that we discussed the April 7th fly-in and other business. It was a fun meeting to cap off a great day of flying. I think I will stick with this plane for a while and maybe move up to another after I have several flights under my belt.
In the meantime, the sky's the limit!

Below is a video of me flying Buddy Box with Thomas. I have no video of my solo.

No comments:

Post a Comment