Monday, March 12, 2012

Day at the Field

I've been flying the Super Cub and trying to get in as much practice as I can, weather permitting. In the process of learning to fly I've crashed the plane once and had damage to the main wing, which I repaired. I've busted the motor mount and gear box, which I've replaced. And I've changed the color scheme on the plane, mostly due to having to replace the aforementioned parts.

But lately I've been flying pretty well and no major damage to report. I've taken the plane up with a camera on board to shoot some footage of the air field, see video below:




The video above was shot just prior to my last flight of that day, where I flew the cub into a fence. That was the wing damage. I discovered the cracked gear box later after a few more flights. Flying is fun but accidents do happen, and will happen to you eventually. So don't sweat it.

I've spent time with my new friends at the field flying together and even shared in a short dog fight. I must say this has been the perfect hobby, though I can already tell it is not a cheap hobby to get involved in. There is always another plane and some other gadget on the horizon.

However, it's worth every penny! I do suggest trying this hobby out, it's a rush and there is always some feeling of accomplishment just about every flight. Every time I put the plane into the air it is a new challenge. I can fly and forget about work, worries and just have a blast. Which is what I wanted, something to do that wasn't work related.

Below is a little video of me flying. The footage was shot by my wife that appears to also enjoy coming out and watching us fly. Even the dog had fun! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment