Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Personal Milestone...


Today marks a personal milestone for me. It's been three weeks since I've had a cigarette!
Early this year I started the process of quitting smoking. In May I began attending the A.C.T. classes at Forrest General.

The class ran for 6 weeks and they provided the drug Chantix for free. During the class I used several techniques they taught to resist, delay and finally stop smoking. My quit date was June 11th. On that day I stopped.

I always said that if I could go for three weeks without smoking I would be done with it. Today marks three weeks without a cigarette.
I still have cravings and I still fight it, but it's much easier now.

Only a few close friends knew that i was quitting and knew what i was going through. My wonderful wife, who has always supported me in everything I do, was my biggest supporter through this.

For the most part I didn't want it mentioned. And I appreciate those who knew and didn't keep bringing it up. When you are trying to quit the last thing you want is people asking you about it, because thinking about it can trigger cravings. So thank you to those who respected my request.

Quitting was very hard. The hardest thing I've ever done. This is something I've done for all of my adult life and it is hard to stop. But I feel now the worst is over and I can talk about it.

In the class they teach you that you are not quitting one habit, you are quitting multiple habits you have learned over the years and thousands of things you do associated with the habit. Part of the process is to discover and work on each one.
My personal belief in God and my self got me through it, and continues to give me strength.

The amazing thing is I didn't kill, maim, or hurt anyone. .....yet...

Just thought I'd let you know.
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment