Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Steel Tongue Drum

Flutes have been a major part of my off time in 2013, but the flute was just the beginning. In 2013 I became fascinated by other acoustic and electric alternate musical instruments. One such instrument is the steel tongue drum. This past fall I purchased a drum from Kaizen over the internet. Kaizen designed the drum to fit the notes on a Native American Flute, so it's easy to play and each note compliments the others.

It's very easy to play a Steel Tongue Drum. Either slap it with your hands or in my case, use sticks with soft pads to lightly tap it. The drum resonates a nice bell sound which is very soothing. It's fun to play and relaxing.


I'm trying to build up a small arsenal of acoustic and electric instruments so when I can afford a looper I can combine the instruments and write more music. The plan is to use these instruments to make background music for flute instrumentals.

Each instrument is fun to play by itself too. Add an amp and you have a nice and subtle background instrument or something you can play as lead. I enjoy playing it on the back patio along with my flutes. The back patio, it's becoming my personal stage. A place to explore these new musical machines. Night or day my audience is either my wife, the dog, or both.

Below you will find a video of me playing the Steel Tongue Drum. I hope you enjoy it and if you want one, contact Kaizen from the link above. He can weld you one you will have a blast playing.



Next up I'll blog about another instrument, my Cigar Box Guitar. It's a three string diddly bow, not as easy to play but not rocket science either. And I'll blog about my hand drum :D

No comments:

Post a Comment