Monday, July 25, 2011

Opteka X-Grip

It's called an "X-Grip" and I think it's pretty awesome! I'm referring to the Opteka X-Grip, a little cradle you can put your camera in and make it easier to carry around. It's billed as a camera stabilizer and though it will give you more steady shots, I was far more interested in it's ability to allow the attachment of gadgets to the camera itself.

I use two prosumer camcorders in my business, the Canon HV-30 and HV-40. Both are fantastic HD cameras with the quality of far more expensive cameras. But... (there's always a but) These cameras are small. They are tiny and I'm used to having something to grip and get my hands around.

So, how does one get the quality of a pro camcorder in a prosumer package but still have the feel of a larger camera and places to attach accessories? I found the answer in the X-Grip. Let me take you on a tour of this inexpensive cradle...

The X-Grip is actually pretty simple.

It is a base with an arm that curves over the camera which allows you to attach components to the system using a cold shoe. Most pro camcorders have a handle that does the same. The Canon HV30/40, being a hand-held camera does not. Using the X-Grip with the camera on its base gives the camera some bulk and is easier to manage.

There are some pros and cons though, however I have never found any video equipment without some cons. Here are a few I've discovered about the X-Grip:

Cons;

It's plastic. So durability may be an issue.
It attaches to a tripod via a hole in the tripod screw under the base. Therefore there is less flat surface for it to rest on a tripod.
It has one cold shoe for attachments.

Pros;

It's light weight.
It has a nice cushy foam grip.
My camera with the Beachtek audio adapter fits well within it.
It's easy to use and the handle makes all the difference.

This weekend I used it at a Wedding Shoot and I must say it shined! It does fit my tripods and was great as a device to carry the camcorder in various different configurations. It really does help when shooting and makes the small camera look pro as well.

In fact I liked it so much I went ahead and bought another so I will have one for both cameras. Plus I grabbed another T-Bar for it. The T-Bar can be found on Ebay and cost about $14.00. It will fit on the cold shoe of the X-Grip and give you the ability to add more devices.

Below is a 20 minute video where I talk about the X-Grip, and discover some issues and advantages studying it. I loaded it down with peripherals too. Watch if you are interested in getting one of these camera cradles.

No comments:

Post a Comment